Friday, April 6, 2007

The Independent Redesign project: Post a comment at the bottom

The Current Design


The New Design



Dearest reader,
If you haven't heard, the Independent is planning a redesign for this summer. My name is Jack Sheard, and I'm the presentation editor at the paper. I have the fun task of creating an entirely new product for you to enjoy.

Well, I'm going to need some help.

Actually, the project is much more than 'design.' It's a lot more content than appearance that we're changing. And there are a lot of people helping already. The entire staff is working in some way at developing a new and improved Independent. But we could use a hand.

And by the way, this is YOUR paper, not ours. So we're going to get your help. Over the course of the next few months, I'll occasionally drop a few pages on this site.

All I ask is you look at them and tell me what you think. Give suggestions, speak your mind and basically let me have it. Or tell me you like it, that's fine, too.

We want you to have a say in this project, because it is your project, too.

So, today with the help of a very friendly Web site person (Steph, you know who you are) I'm posting a current version of the front page of the Independent and a prototype of what that page will look like in the new design.

Please, let us know what you think. Post a comment at the end of this blog and help us design the best newspaper for you we can.

Thanks,
Jack Sheard

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Personally I like the new version better because on that particular day there was two headlines and the new version puts both headlines at the top. With the old version, you had to kind of pick and choose what headline was "more important" than the other. And it gives a more enjoyable feel just by the looks.

April 7, 2007 at 9:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Skyboxes that span the whole page leave the paper looking separated, the half boxes are a way to still have those refers, but still connect the flag to the rest of the paper. I also like the color scheme - it seems more 'together' than the multicolor refers at the top of the page. The rails that separate the stories look cleaner than the old version as well. Overall, I really like it.

April 9, 2007 at 12:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Change is inevitable. At first glance, it reminds me of the Lincoln Journal Star. I don't want the Indy to become the LJS, but whatever change happens I will support it. I remember when I didn't like the new font that the Indy switched to about ten years ago. Guess what? I don't even notice it today. I am sure there will be some resistance from the public about changing the Indy's look, but a year from now not a single person will still be complaining. Looks good Jack! Keep up the good work!

April 9, 2007 at 6:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Me likey. Finally more reader friendly--with the exception of the crazy jumbled left bottom corner. It's annoying...sorry...just being honest. Put your self-promotion stuff where it belongs: inside the paper.

April 11, 2007 at 9:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree, the bottom left looks jumbled. I really don't like having ads on the front page, but I know sometimes the designers don't have any control over that. Overall, I think the new design is very clean, and I like the flag especially.

April 12, 2007 at 3:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

USA Today is / has a better lay out..and inspires yet another newspaper "Makeover".

April 16, 2007 at 7:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really like the look. Of course it's going to the USA today style because that's what readers are demanding. The biggest thing is the tie in with the Web. They are matching a lot of the elements of the paper to the web, which makes it on top of it's game. And for a reader who is out of town, thanks. Keep up the good work. Can't wait till it drops for real.

May 7, 2007 at 4:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would like to have the obit's back on page 2 like they used to be, seems the first pages we read are page one and obits.

I am happy with the paper, would like some new comic strips.

Most don't like change, but like one said, after you have it a while, can't seem to remember how it used to be. Kathy

May 9, 2007 at 6:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've always thought what made the Independent a better paper in part was the font that is so much easier to read than other papers. I see you are keeping that, I think that is most important. Overall, I like the changes. We needed more color!

June 11, 2007 at 10:06 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home